I am required to create a Java program on a laptop to receive/send CANopen messages.
RJ45 is chosen to be the network's physical medium. I am new to CANopen and Java communications programming.
Pardon me if I appear to be uninitiated. The truth is, I have been reading up a lot, but I still do not know how to get started.
1. Other than connecting a PC to the CANbus network, what else does the CAN-PC adapter do?
2. Is it possible to connect the laptop to the CANbus network without the CAN-PC adapter?
3. If a CAN-PC adapter is required, what sort of adapter should I use? PCMCIA, parallel, serial, usb, etc.?
4. How do I get started in writing the java program to listen/write CANopen messages?
5. What libraries should I use?
6. Do I need to create my own drivers?
7. Should my program handle heart-beat monitoring, error detection, etc.? Or are these taken care of by the CAN-PC adapter?
8. How do I retrieve specific information from a CANbus node?
9. How is the EDS file and object dictionary created? Does every node require them?
10. How do I simulate a CAN network to test my Java program without buying CAN hardware?